The one mistake you may have made when it comes to gratitude!
Okay, so you have heard about gratitude before, in books, on Oprah…I know…but HERE is the distinction that has made a difference for me: I used to think I needed to write in my journal all the things I’m grateful for in my life, but then each day, it was kind of the same list. What I realized was THIS……I needed to write at the end of every day what I was grateful for that happened THAT DAY. I now create a list of a minimum of 5 things that happened that day that I was grateful for (something that happened, something I saw, felt or a person that I interacted with). And when I get hit with an emotinally challenging day, I try and pull back and write down that I am grateful for the opportunity to learn the lesson about (for example) “letting go”. Yup, and that kind of gratitude can be the hardest to get to! ughhhh!! lol
So here, I’ll share with you an example of one of my lists I made last week, all the things I was grateful for happening THAT DAY:
Today I am grateful for:
1. The music I blasted on my new sound system that made me feel good while cleaning my house.
2. For my children Anthony and Angelina running up to me out of nowhere, (and as we call it “double -kissing me”) on my face 🙂
3. For the dirt that was delivered to my home for free to help fill my backyard that was destroyed from hurricane Sandy.
4. For having the first person register for my first public seminar under Moving Forward Seminars.
5. The cool breeeze coming through my window as I lay in my bed about to go to sleep.
See?? And what this does is make you reflect on that SPECIFIC day to see the blessings that have occured. And what’s REALLY cool, is that it starts setting up each day for you to start LOOKING for situations to write in your journal that night. And when we are constatntly looking for the good in our day, well……isn’t that just a great way to live?? 🙂
So that’s the distinction that changed the whole “gratitude journal” thing for me that made such a bigh difference. I invite you to try it out for yourself !:)
COOL QUOTE ALERT !
“The way to get what you want, is to be grateful for what you have!”
“It’s not happiness that brings us gratitude, it’s gratitude that brings us happiness!”
I invite you to write in the comments below just ONE THING that happened to you today before you read this blog that you are grateful for to get you started!
With crazy love and gratitude!
Donna 🙂 xoxo